TotallyTenants is a cloud-based app for landlords.
We had 4 doors. Then 4 became 5, and something snapped.
We needed an easier way to record and keep track of all the data associated with our long term rental properties.
“There’s an app for that,” or so we thought. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find one that was right for us, one that was focused primarily on our day-to-day operations. So we made our own.
Our app is a multi-user database built on three pillars, so to speak. The three pillars are all about the day-to-day stuff. They are:
- Tenancies – The data associated with tenancies includes tenant info, the rental unit, the rent, rent increases, extra charges and tenant insurance verifications.
- Service Calls – The data associated with service calls includes rental unit, service type, dates opened and closed, to whom the service call was assigned, and the equipment serviced.
- Cashflow – The data associated with cashflow includes the date, amount, description, and related data. For revenue: the related tenancy. For expenses: the related cost code and the related payee.
The other data associated with long term rentals are organized differently. For example, data associated more with setup than with day-to-day operations are grouped here:
- Cost Codes
- Equipment & Devices
- Rental Properties
- Rental Units
TotallyTenants was built to help us, as landlords, perform our day-to-day operations. We hope it does the same for you.
— Leo Di Croce
The following features are available to all members:
- Easy Property Setup for:
- Property Stakeholders – Identify property stakeholders and their roles. Assign property admin rights to the stakeholders you trust most.
- Rental Units – List the rental units in the building and describe them. For example, 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm. Or use sq ft for commercial units.
- Cost Codes – Use the default Cost Codes or create your own. Cost codes are optional but super useful for organizing expenses.
- Equipment – Create equipment records for equipment that serves the property. Scan barcodes to identify the equipment or enter the data manually.
- Easy Tenancy Setup:
- To record which rental unit is being rented, by whom, when, and for how much.
- To set the defaults for rent increases.
- To toggle Tenant Insurance on and off. For example, if a tenant must have liability insurance at all times.
- To toggle Unit Nesting on and off. For example, if a parking spot is included in an apartment tenancy.
- Automated Tenancy Calculations for:
- The current rent – based on starting rent plus the rent increase(s) to date.
- The age of a tenancy – based on tenancy start date and tenancy status.
- The status of a tenancy – for example, Not Started, Ongoing or Ended.
- Rent received – TotallyTenants calculates what it thinks the revenue should be for a tenant on a particular month — after a user creates a new line item for the revenue. Users can also edit the line item manually if need be.
- Rent increases – TotallyTenants calculates what it thinks the next increase should be — after a user creates a new line item for it. The calculations are based on the defaults set earlier.
- Deposits and interest on deposits – TotallyTenants calculates what it thinks the deposit for last month’s rent should be and what it thinks the interest on the deposit should be — after a user creates a new line item for them. Users should check the terms of their lease to see if interest is owed on a tenant’s deposit. If interest is owed on the deposit, users can choose — for each line item — what action to record for the interest. They have three choices: (i) Applied to Deposit, (ii) Owed to Tenant, or (iii) Paid to Tenant
- More Tenancy Management Features:
- Extra Charges – Record extra charges for late payments, damage, etc.
- Tenant Insurance Verifications – Verify a tenant’s liability insurance coverage, if applicable, at a glance. Alerts appear on Tenancy Alerts.
- Tenancy Alerts – See due dates for the next Rent Increases and the next Rent Increase Notices — at a glance. Never miss a rent increase again!
- Important Tools For Equipment Maintenance:
- Equipment Browse – See Service Records at a glance.
- Maintenance Cycles – Define the maintenance cycles for equipment and devices, like furnace filter changes or smoke detector tests.
- Maintenance Schedule – See next-service dates at a glance. Never miss a smoke detector test again!
- The ABC’s of Managing Service Calls:
- Create a repair or maintenance service record.
- Assign the work to your handyman or your tradesperson, or even to yourself.
- Close the service record by simply recording when the service was performed.
- Fast, Flexible and Contextual Cashflow Data Entry:
- Recurring Expenses – Copy a recurring expense, like Property Taxes, with a single tap. TotallyTenants creates a new expense record, one month from the last.
- Contextual Transactions – Record Revenue and Expenses in context. Meaning revenue related to a specific tenancy. Or expenses related to a specific rental unit, paid to a specific supplier, and/or allocated to a specific cost code.
- Split Expense – Create up to three splits for each expense. Or no split at all. Your choice.
- Advanced Search for
- Transactions – Find records by word search, paid-to, cost code, or rental unit.
- Service – Find records by word search, status, assigned-to, or rental unit.
- Equipment – Find records by word search, category, ownership, rental unit, or barcode.
TotallyTenants has concise reports, ready to email with one tap:*
- Rent Roll – For potential buyers to help them with their due diligence.
- Rent Ledger – For your tenant or paralegal, to help settle disputes. The rent ledger is a detailed account of payables and receivables.
- Rent Receipts – For your tenants’ income tax returns.
- Service Log – For your handyman and your trades people, so they know what’s outstanding and who’s doing what.
- Cashflow – For your accountant, to help him or her categorize your expenses for your income tax return.
TotallyTenants is updated on a regular basis, so members always have the latest version. No need for members to update manually.
- Service Log – Removed Service Type column; concatenated Service Type and Description.
- Added the ability for a property Admin to specify a stakeholder’s “stake” in a property.
- Changed the stakeholder’s “role” so it calculates automatically based on the stakeholder’s “stake.” For example, a stakeholder with a 100% stake is an Owner, a stakeholder with less than 100% stake but greater than 0% is a Co-Owner, and a stakeholder with 0% stake is Support.
- Added “My Stake” to the cashflow graph layout
- Added a portfolio layout similar to the cashflow graph layout, except the portfolio has a bar chart that shows properties on the x-axis and monthly cashflow on the y-axis, plus a monthly total for all properties.
- Added “My Stake” to the portfolio layout
- Added Prorated Rent to the tenancy setup, in case a tenancy begins after the first of the month.
- Doubled the limit for the number of line items allowed in a cashflow report. It’s now 200.
- Renamed a field in the Tenancy Setup from “Unit Is Included in Other Tenancy” to “Unit Nesting.”
- Made it harder to delete a property. Members must now type the word “DELETE” in all caps to confirm deletion.
- Fixed a bug on the home screen that prevented the proper display of three buttons — New Property, Select Property, and Setup — after a user deleted a property.
- Added Tenancy option to select if “Unit is included in other Tenancy.” For example if parking is included. This allows users to list all available parking spaces, garages, storage units, etc. separately and decide what’s included — and what’s extra.
- Added Tenancy Alerts on new slide panel
- Added Tenant Insurance table to track tenant liability insurance
- Added Rent Receipt to Tenancy layout
- Fixed bug that displayed incorrect rent after user input rent increase actual date
- Moved “hamburger” menu from the top right to the top left of the home screen
- Added Property Setup to the top right of the home screen
- New Advanced button in Property Setup navigates to Equipment
- Added Equipment layout with field for Maintenance Cycle, which prompts the user in Service Alerts
- Added Service Alerts in a new slide panel
- Added Advanced Search for Equipment and Service Calls
- Added split for expenses
- Added Advanced Search for Transactions
- Added Rent Ledger to Tenancy layout
- Added Deposit and Interest calculator to Tenancy layout
- Added Extra Charges to Tenancy layout
- Fixed conditional formatting error on Delete buttons
TotallyTenants works on iOS devices, plus macOS and Windows computers. TotallyTenants is a database solution hosted on a dedicated secure server. Members have access to the server, and can share their rental properties with other members. Some conditions apply.
In order to access TotallyTenants, members need FileMaker* installed on their iOS device or on their computer.
- For iOS devices, get FM Go 18, which is free on the App Store
- For macOS and Windows computers, get FM Pro (16 or later). Please contact us for pricing.
* The FileMaker platform is arguably the best database platform in the world. Apps on the FileMaker platform work seamlessly across iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac, and the web. FileMaker is a Claris Company, which is owned by Apple.
Suitable For All Rental Property Types
Video for “My Example Property”
Own Your Data
TotallyTenants is a database solution that landlords use to store their data.
Share Your Data
TotallyTenants is a multi-user app that landlords use to share their data with trusted stakeholders.
Protect Your Data
TotallyTenants is a private, members-only platform.
Thinking about succession?
Teach your children well. Show them the easier way to keep track of their (future) properties.
Choose Your Package
Perfect for one rental property
Regular Price: $1.99/month
Unlimited rental properties
Regular price: $3.99/month
Regular Price: $6.99/month
Promotional price is for the first term only. Plans renew at regular rates. Rates are per rental unit and do not include setup fee. Setup fee is $88.88. Applicable taxes are extra. All currency is in Canadian dollars.
Business Pro package coming soon.